RAID1 in F9

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jun 27 22:24:35 UTC 2008

redhatdude at bellsouth.net writes:

> So, I got both drives 500 MB each inside the computer.
> I can see them in /dev.
> How do I format them with fdisk?
> Do I have to make partitions? I'm lost here.

fdisk /dev/<devicename>

Make sure the <devicename> is correct, otherwise you're going to nuke an
innocent hard drive. That's really the only tricky part, the rest is
generally foolproof.

fdisk will probably complain that the existing partition table on the drive
is garbage, and tell you to create a new one. Follow along with it. If
someone snookered you and shove you a bunch of refurbished drives, they'll
have some data and existing partitions on it, which you can delete first,
using fdisk.

fdisk is a simple, command line tool, with a basic menu, and simple command
help. You should be able to figure out how to use it to create a new
partition on the disk. The only thing that you may not be able to figure out
on your own is that, for the purpose of what you need to do, you will need
to set your new partition's type to "Linux raid autodetect", type 0xFD.

Once you've partitioned both drives, use mdadm to assemble them into a RAID
volume. You'll end up with a new device, most likely /dev/md0.  Treat it as
a single partition, and use mkfs.ext3 command to format it as an ordinary
ext3 partition, which you'll be able to mount.