Fedora/grub bug -- I think ?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Fri Jun 27 23:19:57 UTC 2008

Hi g;

Good question, good point.

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 21:42 +0000, g wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> <snip>
> > As I said, the double splash image doesn't prevent me from doing
> > anything, so I'll let it sit for a couple of days.  If no one (including
> > me) comes up with a solution, I will file a bug against it.
> >
> > I just had the objective of after the fresh install of F9, working on
> > cleaning up all the cruft, annoyances and problems I had accumulated and
> > thereby have a washed, dried and polished system.
>
> something you have yet to mention, do you still have commercial boot loader
> on sda, or did you 'fixmbr' and remove it?

It was Boot Magic.  I was using it just because I was being stubborn.  I
bought Partition Magic which included the Boot Magic program before I
started exploring Linux.  "I paid for it; I am going to use it."  I was
expecting the whole thing to out date itself any day soon, so its death
didn't surprise me.

I haven't 'fixmbr' -ed yet.  But I did replace the mbr or at least part
of it with grub when I made my original mistake, if I did, in fact, make
an uncorrected mistake.  This whole video mode question has thrown that
open.

> something which has not been suggested to try;
>
> 'dd if=/dev/sda of=sda.hex bs=256 count=1'
>
> 'dd if=/dev/sdb of=sdb.hex bs=256 count=1'

That is a very good suggestion on checking for any lingering remnants of
either Boot Magic or a misplaced grub.  None of the usual file finders
was showing me anything useful.

I am going to let it be for a couple of days and collect my thoughts.
And then, give it a last try on a quiet Sunday morning.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2