Fedora 9 /dev/rtc missing

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jun 27 23:26:30 UTC 2008

byrdca at gmail.com wrote:
>> Here are some ideas in order of how likely I think they are:
>> 1 - find out how to tell XP to use UCT on the hardware clock and reset it to
>> UTC. This will also fix problems the next time our bonehead congress proves
>> it doesn't understand time and resets DST.
>
> I've heard that the UTC reg hack for Windows has some downsides and
> that Windows does not always honor the registry value, though I am
> starting to consider this.
>

>> 2 - in GNOME go to system->administration->date&time, and on the "time zone"
>> tab check that you have the TZ set and the hardware clock checked (or not,
>> if you disregard my 1st idea).
>
> Unfortunatley the gnome applet shows that I have "System Clock uses
> UTC" set and I am unable to clear it due to the missing rtc dev file.
> Interestingly enough when I run timeconfig it shows that "System Uses
> UTC" is not checked.  My TZ is correctly set.

You should not need /dev/rtc for this. Unless they changed it for
F9, you should be able to edit /etc/sysconfig/clock and set
UTC=false. You may also have to run "hwclock --localtime --hctosys"
to make sure thing get set write when you shutdown. (hwclock
"remembers" the last use of --localtime or --utc.)

Mikkel