Capital letters in (windows) file names on Fedora 9

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 28 03:19:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 19:44 -0700, Peter Langfelder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed F9 on my desktop machine and am running into a
> problem when trying to transfer files from a windows system. Here's a
> bit of background: I used to switch back and forth between a linux
> (FC6) laptop and a windows desktop, transferring my work files back
> and forth using a USB stick and rsync. All capital letters are
> properly recognized in F6, so when I create a file Temp.R on Windows,
> it shows as Temp.R on my FC6 laptop. In F9, however, some filenames
> are being converted to lowercase (I suspect those that were created on
> Windows..); for example, the file may show up as temp.r. The converted
> file names are being displayed both in
> File Browser windows as well as in terminal (such as seen by ls or rsync).
>
> Is there any way to make the system recognize the case the way FC6
> did? Is this some setting in the automatic recognition and mounting of
> file systems? A proper file name recognition from Windows is very
> important... I'd hate to have to downgrade the system so I get this
> functionality back.
----
vfat file system? what mount options are in place?

probably if you show us output of 'mount' command, that may be useful

It would make sense that you test things so you don't have to guess
where/when things break down.

make 2 new folders - say files-from-home and files-from-work

and put a couple of files from your home system into the files-from-home
folder and see how they're named when you get to work and reverse the
process.

for S&G's, I plugged in my external USB drive that is formatted vfat...
/dev/sdb1 on /media/120G-HD type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,uid=500)

and the file names seemed to be proper/case mixed as expected.

Craig