F9: Creating partitions

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jun 29 01:53:25 UTC 2008

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> Hmm... F9 is new to me...
>
> 1) I am planning to partition a 750GB drive as follows:
>    a) /media/vista       50GB    ntfs  primary
>    b) /media/w2kpro      50GB    ntfs  primary
>    c) /boot              200MB   ext3  primary
>    d) -------------------------------- Extended
>        i)  /             200GB    ext3
>       ii)  /media/wapp1  100GB    ntfs
>      iii)  /media/fapp1  150GB    ext3
>

> 2) I downloaded F9 Gnome Live ISO and burned a CD,
>   booted up and started F9 installation.
>
>   a) Selected "Custom Partition"
>   b) Tried to create "vista" nfts partition but
>      there is no ntfs selection available in the
>      'File System Type' dropdown list, all I see
>      is 'vfat'  So, at this point I selected vfat
>      and continued to partition to 50GB, primary.
>   c) Same with (b) above, but for w2kpro
>   d) Created /boot partition - but noticed that there
>      was a "switch" in the device - /boot became
>      /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda3 as I would have
>      expected.  Why is that?  Don't I get to say
>      exactly what device I want partitioned and in
>      what order? Ignoring this, I continued anyway,
>      hoping this will not screw up boot access to
>      'vista' or 'w2kpro'. So, I continued on.
>   e) Now, to create the 'Extended partition'? - hmm,
>      there is no 'Extended' in 'File System Type'
>      dropdown list - so where is it?  What is 'efi'?
>      "Extended FIle system"?
>
> Up to this point - I don't know what to do.  Should I
> choose 'Physical Volume (LVM)' instead and use this
> pathway instead of the way I am going as planned?
>
> Please advise?
>
> Thanks-
> Dan

I believe that it will create the extended partition for you. I
forget what they call it instead of primary, maybe logical?

As far as the NTFS for Vista, you should be able to change it using
gparted or parted after booting Linux. BUt you will have to format
it as part of the Vista install, or from Vista if it is going to be
a data partition, and not for Vista install.

I believe it makes the /boot partition the first one to avoid
problems with the BIOS not being able to read the entire boot
partition if it is after the other two, and the BIOS can not read
the entire drive.

Mikkel