need suggestions on troubleshooting pgadmin3

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 08:01:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:38:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> Pgadmin3 (postgresql administrator GUI, I presume GTK+ program)
>
> My home desktop has been upgraded, probably since FC-4 or FC-5 and now
> on F9
>
> If I launch Pgadmin3, it sticks at the splash screen and never
> progresses and I can only kill it. It upgraded a month ago or so, same
> thing.
>
> I have removed the rpm and re-installed (both the one from F9-base and
> F9-updates) but either way, same issue.

Obligatory question: Have you tried it with a fresh user account,
too?

> I asked the list and others report having no problems running
> pgadmin-i386.
>
> If I launch (as user or even as root), it hangs the same way, with nary
> anything to standard error or standard out.
>
> I can't strace it because by the time I launch it, get the pid and try
> to strace it, it's already hung.

You can launch it via strace: strace pgadmin3

Ruling out that damaged packages cause this is one thing to do, too.
"rpm -Va" should not report any damaged files.

> Anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot it?

debuginfo-install -y pgadmin3

then run it, attach gdb to it (gdb -p $PID) and backtrace it,
"thr app a bt" (means "thread apply all backtrace"). That could
help with finding out where it waits.