Dependency resolution failed

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Mon Jun 30 01:31:35 UTC 2008

Luis Orlindo Tedeschi wrote:
> Folks; I've been trying to update Fedora 9 since last week and I keep
> getting Dependency Resolution Failed. It says Missing Dependency:
> tcl-devel = 1:8.5.1 is needed by package 1:tk-devel: 8.5.1-4.fc9.i386.
> Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

It is trivial to do the following.  (as root)
yum list updates > updates
Edit updates to leave only the packages.  Put #! /bin/bash at the top.
Replace the version of the package with *, and add yum -y update in
front of each package.  In vim, recording a macro to do this takes less
than a minute.
Save the file.
Change the mode on updates to executable   chmod +x updates
./updates

This is a little inefficient as it runs yum on individual packages that
have been pulled in for dependencies already, but it will update
everything except the invalid package.

When I was using rawhide I automated this with scripts and python
programs (well, more sophisticated than this).  There are almost always
dependency errors in rawhide, so you would never get any updates if you
didn't do something like this.