selinux advises restorecon unknown?

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 12:39:17 UTC 2008

Dave Burns wrote:
> I just installed FC8 x86_64 on a Dell Precision T5400. I then
> installed nmap. I ran nmap. SELinux signalled that something was
> wrong. I looked in the log, then I ran  sealert -l 47<blah-blah-blah>
> and it advises me to "try to restore the default system file context
> for <Unknown>, restorecon -v <Unknown>".

This is probably a bad match by setroubleshoot.  Please attach the AVC
messages that you are getting.  I would figure this is an AVC on a file
system like /proc that confused selinux.

> a) What should I do? I am guessing
>
> # touch /.autorelabel
> # shutdown -r now
Probably not necessary

> b) is this a bug?

Yes
> I googled (selinux "restorecon -v unknown" bugzilla fedora). Lots of
> hits, no general solution I could find. Many with similar problems
> eventually figure out which file actually is causing selinux
> unhappiness, but I have no clue how they figured it out. Anyone spare
> a clue?
>
> Dave
>
> side note - after that I ran yum -y update, the screen has gone black
> and does not respond to anything, including cntl-alt-del or
> cntl-alt-backspace. No fair!

Not sure whether SELinux is involved here or not.  Need to see the
/var/log/audit/audit.log