Hardware browser??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Jun 30 15:16:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:36:53 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 18:44 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> 	Fedora always used to have a hardware browser; for a while it had
>> two, one with endless cryptic detail, and one highly simplified.
>>
>> 	Now I find neither. Has it (or have they) been renamed? Can I add
>> it with yum? Some other way?
>>

> yum install lshw-gui
>
> should see you sorted.

	Hmm ... Neat name, impressive command; but is there a way to make
it usable by subtechnoids? Can I pipe the -xml or -html options into a
browser, for instance? Or something into baobab for it to use as labels?

	Most recent example : I got the livna display configuration kmod-
nvidia stuff, and it helped; but it didn't tell me whether to use the
nvidia configurator or the livna one, or both; and the livna page warned
me that I might have any of several cards.

	I'd like to check that last, and tackle it again. One of the old
hardware browsers, iirc, would have enabled even me to find out what
video card I have. (An electronic friend is kind enough to assemble
machines to meet my budget, every year or three; but I never needed to
know one video card from another -- till I got this blankety-blank new
monitor ...)

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers