F8 and a GPS -

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Jun 30 17:06:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:54:40 -0400, Bob Goodwin USA wrote:

> I have a Magellan 3100 GPS device that came with a USB cable and a
> collection of Windows software on a CD.
>
> Is there an application for F8 that will permit me to communicate with
> it.  At first I thought I would just plug it in and extract coordinate
> information for my present position but it's not that easy.
>
> It would be even more convenient if I could list a destination address
> from the computer keyboard instead of using the little touch screen
> which doesn't really seem designed for normal human sized finger tips.
>
> It does show up on my XFCE desk top when plugged in and I can list some
> files, none of which seem to be usable in Linux.
>
> Can I do anything with it via Linux?

	Wine 1.0 is out at last; so it's possible you can at last -- with
it or CrossoverOffice. If you do, please post how here, with a large
fanfare.

	I have Garmins, with software from Garmin, Maptech, Topo.com, and
Delorme -- and I have <curse, snarl, screech> a machine I can run XP on
just for that.

	Two or three years ago, I worked long and hard, with this list
and two or three others including CrossoverOffice, to manage under linux.
I managed to get two of the four suites of software to run under Fedora
-- but never did get any of them to talk to any of my Garmins.

	There *are* also several linux-native apps -- if you're Alpha
Plus Technoid enough to use them. Last time I tried, it took not only a
lot more linux-savvy than I've got, but something like a graduate degree
in cartography besides.

	Good luck! And  please report in exhaustive detail. Pretty please.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers