ssh reverse tunnel

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Mon Jun 30 17:51:55 UTC 2008

Rick Bilonick wrote:
> This works fine. The only problem is the connection always times out
> even though I've changed the sshd_config files on both machines to keep
> it alive. I've restarted the sshd daemon also. Not sure why the
> connection keeps closing.

Some firewalls have a time limit on connections, and the connections
will fail as soon as that timeout occurs.  Note when the ssh session is
started, and when it times out.  See if there is a consistent connection
duration.

If that is occuring the only solutions are to alter the timeout on the
firewall (I did that on some checkpoint firewalls a few years ago) or
re-initiate the connection whenever it goes down (yum install autossh).
Obviously the latter is not ideal because your inbound session is lost
uncleanly and you cannot predict when it will happen unless you know
what the firewall connection timeout is for that port, and when the
session was initiated.  But if it means that getting a connection
remains possible that would be better than losing the capability until
you are next in the office.

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #804005699817957