Mirror bandwidth and user redirection

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Jun 30 19:25:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:23:08PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 10:47 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:

> > Understood.  But I don't have a way to know that.
>
> Of course. What's needed is a way to tune these things manually.

append "&country=us,ca,mx"  to the end of your mirrorlist URLs listing
any countries you think would be faster for you.

> My only suggestion for now is that the weighting of the various classes
> be changeable via a config file. I don't know if that is easy or hard to
> do given the existing code.

hard.  The whole point is to have a system that doesn't require user
config file changes, but that is "good enough" for nearly everyone.  A
few items can be changed, like appending &country=  or &ip=  to
override the normal detection mechanisms, but I don't want to make it
infinitely configurable by users.  &country=global works too.

> > That all depends on the interconnects between the nodes on Internet2
> > and the commerical internet.  As those links cost real money for our
> > volunteer mirror admins, by request of some of the I2 mirrors in our
> > system, I've tried to avoid sending non-Internet2 users to Internet2
> > servers.
>
> That's fine. I'm talking about I2<->I2 connections, which if available
> should outweigh non I2<->I2 connections even if the latter are more
> local.

Here I restrict it to I2<->I2 within the same country, as I don't know
the I2 connectivity between countries.  Maybe it's faster, maybe
not...

Users can always use yum-fastestmirror if they like.  That has the
advantage of using the mirrorlist, but with timed values from the
actual client.

Thanks,
Matt

--