ssh reverse tunnel

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Mon Jun 30 21:09:48 UTC 2008

> Rick Bilonick wrote:
>> I re-installed Fedora 8 and now I can get a reverse ssh tunnel (from
>> server to home) by typing on the server:
>>
>>> ssh -R 2022:server.ip:22 home at home.ip
>>

>> Then when at the home computer, I type:
>>
>>> ssh -p 2022 server at localhost
>>
>> This works fine. The only problem is the connection always times out
>> even though I've changed the sshd_config files on both machines to keep
>> it alive. I've restarted the sshd daemon also. Not sure why the
>> connection keeps closing.
>>

> Run something like
> while date ; do sleep 60; done
> in the ssh session setting up the tunnel, adjust sleep time if needed.
> That will generate some traffic to keep the connection from timing out.

I found a little utility called "spinner"  it will draw a spinning bar in
the corner of the screen or with the "-n" option send a null char once a
second (adjustable)  I simply type "spinner -n".  This will keep your
session open indefinitely.

Program is here: http://www.laffeycomputer.com/spinner.html