BOINC again !? -- I give up.

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 21:43:22 UTC 2008

>> It strikes me that something is *really* broken with Network Manager.
>> Other services wait until they start before returning to the next item
>> in the startup sequence.  Network Manager seems to be returning as
>> ready, before it is, and buggering up other things that follow.
> ----
My experience with NM is that it starts, but doesn't actually do
anything until you get a gnome/KDE login, particularly for wireless
connections.  Way too late for any network activity during the init
sequence.

For machines with a wired connection I have been in the habit of
disabling NM and using the good old network service.  Works like a dream
and doesn't need tampering with.  You can do that through the
Admin->services gui if you don't like fiddling with the links in the
init directories.

Having said that I'm still on Fedora 8, so things may have improved.
(Doesn't sound like it though!)

Mike