Evolution fails to see some messages in Inbox

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 23:46:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 13:28 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> I see no messages displayed in Inbox earlier than Sept 11, 2007, though
> I know there are earlier ones.  If I search Inbox for a message that I
> know is there, received in 2005, it's not found.  But if I search the
> *Account*, rather than Inbox, for the same message it is found.
>
> Can anyone explain this?
>
> Inbox is rather large:
> 	3032 unread 8014 total

You don't say whether the Inbox in question is local or remote. If it's
remote, you may have a cache problem. To fix, stop Evo completely
('evolution --force-shutdown') and remove the appropriate index files
under .evolution. Which ones depends on your setup, but for an IMAP
server you would need something like
~/.evolution/mail/imap/your-account-name/folders/INBOX. Just zap the
whole directory and Evo will rebuild it. Note that for a large mailbox
that can take some time.

poc