sorry but hotmail is clumping all my statements into one big mess!

landon kelsey landonmkelsey at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:54:41 UTC 2008

I have Fedora 9/KDE 4.0.5 and have used yum to get the latest updates!

Now some mysterious "software update" system is updating!

For example: One morning I woke up and I got a new kernel all of a sudden!
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

I have looked everywhere to find a dialog to shut off this software updater!

Once such a dialog appeared and I selected NOT to make updates.

This didn't help!

I have found (logged in as root) settings->software updates dialog where I set everything to "do nothing"

I looked in system services and yumupdatesd or yum-updatesd does not appear!

I did find this out!

ps -ef|grep -i package
root 15885 1 0 13:55 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/packagekitd
landon4 15891 2711 0 13:59 pts/1 00:00:00 grep -i package
[landon4 at localhost Timer]$

so something is running!

Thanks!

under settings->software updates I found a dialog that set "update" settings for some facility I've never heard of!

I suspect this sneaked in about 2-4 weeks ago! I noticed something running this morning!

I have set everything to do nothing so I'll see what happens!

I have had empty yum updates for a while now!

I did do the script:
yum clean all
yum clean metadata
yum clean dbcache
yum update

 still yum update yields nothing
I brought up the software updates dialog and set updates to
all updates/hourly/notify

perhaps the package kit "add on" changed everything

Is anybody getting yum updates in the last 2 weeks???