Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Sep 3 12:14:33 UTC 2008

Travis Arnold wrote:

> Erm I've been using ubuntu recently but would like to use fedora, but am
> not sure how to install, is it best to use live cd, or the dvd install
> medium?

I strongly recommend starting with one of the Live CDs.
(I use the KDE Live CD.)
Once this is running, there is an option to install on the hard drive.

I've never had any problem with this,
whereas I have had several problems with DVD installs.

Personally, I use "yum grouplist" and "yum groupinstall"
to add the items I want after installing from the Live CD.

I never use the default automatic partitioner;
I always partition first using Knoppix and fdisk,
or else (more often) use a previous partitioning,
and then choose the Custom Layout option.

The default partitioner is a bad feature of Fedora,
and must have caused many problems.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net