Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 3 15:10:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 11:40 -0500, landon kelsey wrote:
> I'm not an expert but I've found that it is best to install everything
> but languages!

I wouldn't recommend that.  You'll end up with scads of stuff that you
never use, wasting disc space, and internet bandwidth downloading
updates for them.  Not to mention the extra time for installing and
processing what needs to be updated.

> I knew a guy who didn't and he *always* had dependency problems!

I didn't, and I don't.  When I install something that needs something
that I don't already have installed, yum arranges getting the
dependencies, as well.  The *one* thing, so far, that hasn't been
managed well was the sound support for Adobe's Flash plugin.  It has a
sometimes dependency (it depends on your system as to whether you need
it, or not), so it doesn't absolutely depend on it, and doesn't drag it
in automatically.

What is this, bad advice and crap email week?  This is not a top posting
list, read the guidelines (link below).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686