Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 3 15:31:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 14:14 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I strongly recommend starting with one of the Live CDs.
> (I use the KDE Live CD.)
> Once this is running, there is an option to install on the hard drive.
>
> I've never had any problem with this,
> whereas I have had several problems with DVD installs.

I can't say that I've had a problem with a DVD install, though I've had
plenty with the live discs.  Even on rather meaty systems (fast, good
graphics, plenty of RAM, etc.), they can take an age to load, and thrash
wildly about trying to do something.

I'm curious as to why installing from a live disc should be any better.
Surely it'd use the same basic routines.

> I never use the default automatic partitioner;
> I always partition first using Knoppix and fdisk,
> or else (more often) use a previous partitioning,
> and then choose the Custom Layout option.
>
> The default partitioner is a bad feature of Fedora,
> and must have caused many problems.

It's worked pretty well on everything that I've tried it on, I can't say
that I like the defaults (small boot, one / partition, one swap
partition), but the defaults are fine for many people, and the tool's
not too bad.  I've certainly seen worse, and it's easier than doing
maths in your head, or on paper, to work out your partition sizing with
fdisk (planning what sizes you want for each).  The one feature I'd
really like to add is for you to be able to type in the disc labels that
you want it to use, free-form.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686