Printer takes ages to print one page with FC8

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 05:37:11 UTC 2008

M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently got this used HP Deskjet 895Cxi printer, connected it to PC
> running FC8 and it's worked fine until yesterday. This morning it
> started to behave strangely.

I also use an HP DeskJet 895Cxi.

> I am working on an 8 page document in OpenOffice. When I tried to
> print it all, I got the first 3 pages fine then nothing happened
> anymore. The print jobs would show up as active via lpq and also in
> the CUPS web interface, but nothing whatever would happen. No errors
> in the CUPS log. After about 20 minutes waiting, I removed the print
> job with lprm.
>
> Then I tried to print only the 4th page, the exact same thing
> happened:

There are a few possibilities. I list these in order of likelihood...

(1) You are printing a document created using MS tools and which
use some undocumented feature, which OpenOffice does not handle
well, and which it is translating into PostScript which gets into
infinite loops, or requests the printer to do something it cannot,
or etc. Try looking at the output from top and see if some interpreter
has gone batty. Try looking at the debugging output from CUPS (you
_do_ use CUPS?). Try sending the output to a file and then view/print
from ghostscript. Is the printer telling you anything, like with
flashing lights?

(2) You are printing a very large image, which is taking forever to
transmit, or perhaps which overflows the buffer in the printer. You
may possibly want to change your pre rendering setting to opposite
of what you use now.

(3) You may have a flaky cable which runs ok for transmitting all but
really rigorous collections of bytes, but when running full speed
fails. Usually, however, this shows up not always at the same spot,
and usually sporadically. Are you using a USB or a parallel? This
can sometimes happen with parallel.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.