what's wrong with rkhunter?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 15:22:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 08:40 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> Le 04.09.2008 02:02, Kevin Fenzi a écrit :
> > On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 00:01:24 +0200
> > francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr (François Patte) wrote:

> >> Bonjour,
> >
> > Greetings.
> >
> >> I tried to run rkhunter -c on my system.
> >>
> >> Result:
> >>
> >> The language specified is not available: en
> >> Use the command 'rkhunter --lang en --list languages' to see the list
> >> of available languages.
> >>

> >> I am not so bad, I tried what they said:
> >>
> >> rkhunter --lang en --list languages
> >>
> >> then again:
> >>
> >> The language specified is not available: en
> >> Use the command 'rkhunter --lang en --list languages' to see the list
> >> of available languages.

If it is a default installation - which I think the Fedora RPM does -
then the language files should be in the '/var/lib/rkhunter/db/i18n'
directory. What rkhunter (RKH) is saying is that the 'en' language file
is not there.

You can run 'rkhunter --update' and it will try and download the latest
language files, even if they (including the 'en' file) are not currently
present on your system.

If you want to provide a new translation then you can do this by
translating the 'en' file into your langauge. (You only need to
translate the message text in the file, not the keywords (e.g. not
MSG_TYPE_WARNING and so on, just the text after the first colon)). Put
the file into the above directory, and either use the '--lang'
command-line option, or set the LANGUAGE in your /etc/rkhunter.conf
configuration file. You can then test it out. The downside is that as
RKH develops so the 'en' file changes; you need to try and keep up with
those changes. RKH will use the 'en' file if a particular keyword is not
in your language file - that way RKH keeps working even if your langauge
file gets out of date. If you want the language file made part of the
RKH program, then please submit this as a feature request on the RKH bug
tracker page
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=794190&group_id=155034&func=browse)

Regards,

John.