Dell OptiPlex 745 reboot problem

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 5 15:05:04 UTC 2008

Tony Molloy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed Fedora-9 on a lab of Dell OptiPlex 745 (SFF) machines. (
> only in 1 lab TG )
>
> After running firstboot when I went to reboot the machines they just hang and
> I had to do a hard reboot. I thought this was a minor glitch and ignored it.
>
> Now however when the machines boot into Fedora-9 the "reboot" and "suspend"
> buttons do not work. The windowing system just shuts down and I get a text
> prompt and the machines just hang there.

Hang? That's a vague term. If you type on the keyboard, do characters
get echoed? If you have a text prompt, then can you not do a

# shutdown -r now

Or even just

# mount

get a list of mounted file systems, and umount them all, except
for /, which you'll have to

# mount -o remount,ro /

to get them all static, then hit the power button.

Even if you are dead in the water, you should still be able
to hit the power button without corrupting the alternate
OS.

> As thes are dual boot machines this will cause a lot of problems starting
> monday when the students return ;-(

I don't understand why their being dual boot will cause a lot
of problems. You just installed FC9, so that wasn't there before,
and the problem shows up with FC9 booted. Presumably the alternate
boot is some version of Windows. Does the problem also manifest
itself when Windows (or whatever) is running?

> Is ther some magic incantation to grub to sort this problem or any body got
> any ideas.

Ok, live and learn. The first idea is, before you make changes
to machines with an important setup, make a backup. In this case,
if you had a disc image, you could probably recover very easily.
Next time, you'll know that.

I'm still a little uncertain why you have a real problem. You
have a machine which misbehaves when FC9 is running. Is it the
fact that you can't shut down that is problematic?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.