Fetchmail + Sendmail for local users ??

Arun Shrimali arun.reso at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 11:49:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> Arun Shrimali wrote:
>

> > Now I am trying to implement Fetchmail + Dovecot at Server level and
> > outlook Exp at user.
> >
> > While checking IMAP folder through OE at server, it ask for the u/n and
> > p/s at 172.16.251.234, on giving password it gives following error:
> >
> > Configuration:
> >    Account: 172.16.251.234
> >    Server: 172.16.251.234
> >    User name: arunsh
> >    Protocol: IMAP
> >    Port: 143
> >    Secure(SSL): 0
> >    Code: 800ccc03
> >
> > I think there is some problem with mode of u/n and p/w, can anybody help
> > me
>
> I can't help, I'm afraid, as I don't use Outlook.
> (Is that under Windows?)
>
> But it seems to me more probable that the problem lies with Outlook
> than Dovecot.
> I use kmail, and I give my username and password there.
>
> If it were Linux, I'd try telnet to see if you get a connection.
> But I don't know the equivalent under Windows.
> Under Linux I get:
> ---------------------------
> [tim at carrie ~]$ telnet www.gayleard.com 143
> Trying 86.43.71.228...
> Connected to www.gayleard.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK Dovecot ready.
> ^]
> telnet> quit
> Connection closed.
> ---------------------------
>

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
>
> --

I am having one linux client also, I have tried your command which says
dovecot is working perfectly as follows :
arun at ITQS - Arun:~$ telnet 172.16.251.234 143
Trying 172.16.251.234...
Connected to 172.16.251.234.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.

I have tried  to connect Dovecot through Evolution on that client which
gives following error :

Unable to authenticate to IMAP server
IMAP command failed. Authentication failed.

????

Arun