video equipment still forcing my laptop to a lower res, argh

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Sep 9 14:35:32 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i'd thought of that, but i was *assured* by people who should know that
> the external hardware is not reporting anything back to the laptop.  and
> forgive my video-related ignorance, but what is *normally* reported back?
> in what format?  and is there a way to tap that info in real time (a la
> tcpdump)?  or is just checking the X log file the way to go?  thanks.
>
> rday

X will ask the monitor for the EDID data that says what the monitor
is capable of handling. If you search the /var/log/xorg0.log for
EDID, you should see what it is reporting.

I do not know your hardware, and I have not done dual monitors, so I
can not help you with this part. What you may want to try is instead
of having the external monitor echo what the laptop display shows,
configure X to handle two displays, sending the same information to
each display. (I am doing a poor job of describing this)

Mikkel