Fedora 9 i386 CD images

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Sep 9 17:12:42 UTC 2008

Tod Merley wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Bing <bing77 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I am new to this and seeking advice.
>>
>> I downloaded the 6 CD images ok and run the checksum and they all were ok.
>>
>> I burned the images to CD and only CD 1 and 6 show no errors on the media
>> check.
>>
>> I re-burnt CD 2 to see if it was a glitch but the new disk also came up with
>> errors.
>>
>> The machines I have do not have DVD drives only CD
>>

>> Before I try again and spend a fortune on CDs wanted to know if anybody has
>> successfully downloaded, burnt and installed from these images.
>>

>> Many thanks in anticipation.
>>

>> Bing
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi Bing!
>
> Try running a checksum or shasum on the disks.  If they pass I would
> tend to use them.  The media check seems to be sometimes unreliable.

You need to check just the size of the ISO image, reading the CD may
return more or less data than written based on how the end of data was
padded (or not). So:
- get the size of the ISO image on disk in 2k blocks, either with wc or
"ls -s" and a little simple arithmetic.
- read just that much from the CD and do the sum, like
   dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2k count=${size_in_2k_blocks} | sha1sum -
- compare that to the original:
   sha1sum YourImage.iso

That's the reliable way to check, if the sums match the CD is correct.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>