locking down Xorg resolution

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200809 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:26:36 UTC 2008

"Gilboa Davara" <gilboad at gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since F7, I have been unable to simply do a graphical boot with my
>> monitor off. Whenever the monitor is off, xorg ignores
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and chooses its own incorrect resolution.
>>
>> How do I lock this down so that I do not need to turn on my monitor
>> before every boot? The solution on such a "bad" boot is generally to
>> restart X using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
>>

> Which driver are you using?
> In general you can disable EDID check by adding 'Option "IgnoreEDID"
> "yes"' to your driver section.

I don't think he wants to ignore EDID, but simply have a more
reasonable fall-back when EDID isn't available (such as when the
monitor is powered off).

I'm not sure how to do a fallback either, but in the past I've solved
this problem by running X once, determining the mode X would chose
when the monitor is on and then add the appropriate settings to the
Display and/or Screen xorg.conf sections.  In the past I've patched up
the following (see man xorg.conf for the gory details):

     HorizSync
     VertRefresh
     DisplaySize
     Mode / Modeline

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.