Update from New Repository Fails

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Sep 10 20:28:14 UTC 2008

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Attempting to access the new the repository according to the
> instructions just released in fedora-announce-list has hit a snag.  The
> initial update, to yum, etc. appeared to work OK, except that some RPMs
> in Livna appear to be in sync with the new Fedora Repos, and not with
> the RPMs on my system -- I requested that they not be updated and
> everything seems to have gone OK.
>
> The update tool (pirut) reported 114 updates; I requested that "Update
> System".  But pirut reports "Dependency resolution failed" with the
> error box:
>         samba-common = 3.2.0-1.rc1.15.fc9 is needed by package
>         samba-winbind-3.2.0-1.rc1.15.fc9.x86_64
>         yum >= 3.2.19 is needed by package yum-utils-1.1.16-1.fc9.noarch
>         (updates-newkey)
> Dependency resolution is still going on after about 15 minutes, so there
> may be more dependency failures coming.

Might I make a WAG here, that you did a partial upgrade by excluding
some parts of yum from the upgrade from the old archive? And now you
don't have the yum you need to use the new archive?

I would suggest "yum upgrade yum\*" and see if you are lucky and have
enough functional parts to finish the initial upgrade. If that doesn't
work you may have a real problem.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>