PDA Calendar sync (was Re: Calendar choice: looking for advice)

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Sep 12 12:48:26 UTC 2008

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
> wrote:
>> I've been looking at two "calendar" programs,
>> for keeping a record of appointments, etc.
>>
>> These are Google Calendar, which seems to me
>> to be well-designed, and the default choice
>> which any rival must improve upon in some way.
>>
>> The rival I have been looking at is the setup described in
>> "Building a Simple Calendar Server with Fedora and WebDAV"
>> at <http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/
>> Building_a_Simple_Calendar_Server_with_Fedora_and_WebDAV>.
>>
>> I also looked briefly at KOrganizer".
>>
>> But I was wondering if anyone has looked into this
>> more carefully, and if so what conclusion they came to?
>>
>> Any suggestions gratefully received.
>>

> I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it would also be great if
> anyone has had positive experience with a calendar solution that is
> known to just work with a PDA (PDA recommendations accepted as well).

I've got two going on, actually.

I'm using goosync (www.goosync.com) to keep my Treo 680 (should work with
any Palm...and they have versions of their client for other PDAs, as well,
I believe) calendar sync'd up with Google Calendar.

I'm also running Citadel (http://www.citadel.org), at home, with the
Funambol connector that's being maintained to direct connect to Citadel
(http://bionicmessage.net/index.php?q=node/11).

Citadel also supports webdav/groupdav/caldav, so Thunderbird w/Lightning
works well with it.

Other folks I've chatted with use korganizer, kontact, and a host of other
clients.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org