Fetchmail + Sendmail + Dovecot

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Sep 12 19:41:44 UTC 2008

Arun Shrimali wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying hard to setup mail solution as follows :
> We already have remote server with domain name and mail setup, where we
> have our website (managed by external agency). Where as, for few local
> users I would like to download the mails to these users ( at the same
> time few other users will be able to access their mails directly from
> the remote server, as they are roaming) .
>
> Our local users are behind proxy (squid + NCSA authentication) and
> firewall, thus could not directly access to any external IP.
>
> Local users can also check their mails through squid and web mail
> client. But to avoid excessive load on our thin net connectivity, I
> would like to setup intermediatery server, which download mails from our
> remote mail server for selective users.
>
> In the above scenario I am working on setting up Fetchmail + Sendmail +
> Dovecot + squirrel mail (hope I have choosen the right combination)
> After googling too much I could not any HOWTO of such kind.
>
> How should I configure Sendmail when I am fetching mails from another
> mail server ??
> How should /etc/resolv.conf looks like in this case ??
> How should I configure SMTP ??

Have all mails put in a single mbox, pull them and hand to sendmail for delivery.

To get addresses accepted you can either add items to the /etc/aliases, or put
things in /etc/mail/local_names. The alias solution is easier. You may have to
allow forwarding of stuff sent over the loopback address, I haven't done this in
several years and can't be sure.

Set up fetchmail to pull from a local mailbox you can preload, and verify that
delivery occurs, then point fetchmail at the real mailbox. That reduces your
chances of lost mail.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>