[FWW] method for minimum install

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 08:30:07 UTC 2008

Not sure if I'm asking a question or trying to start a flame war
here, but, about four hours ago, I was getting a net install (PPC) of
Fedora 9 going and needed to go to the store for the wife, so I
thought I'd be sensible for a change and not install the kitchen
sink, and wait until the base system was running before I started
messing with the package manager.

So I de-selected desktop, developer's, and server general sets from
the quick selection screen in the install, left it to customize after
the install, hit the start button, and went to the store. When I got
back, it was installing 889 packages.

Is 889 packages a minimal install?

Is de-selecting all the general sets not a minimal install? Why?
Where is the minimal install button? Why?

Can I file a bug on this as a vote for a real minimal install option
without having to go into the screens for selecting and de-selecting
individual package?

And, really, seriously, why on earth is that IP-trap tomboy in any of
the default installs? I was shocked that it was in the i386 live CD,
but in PPC, too? In what ought to be a minimal install? At least I
don't see any evidence of f-spot or whatever that silly photo
"manager" was. (Not sure why rhythmbox and the video player have to
be in there, either, but at least they don't have mono.)

No, really. Fedora is not a part of the Novell microcosm. Fedora is
trying to be clean with licenses, right? Where is the logic in
allowing a single pseudo-text editor of questionable general utility
to drag in the taint of mono? (I suppose it would hurt less if I
could remove it without having to have access to the repositories.)

No, I really don't want to start a flame war. But I would like to
know the logic of this. Why are Tomboy and mono considered more
"default" or more important or whatever than, say, parted and the LVM
volume manager?

And why isn't there a true minimal install without going through and
hand-de-selecting stuff?

I suppose, when I calm down, I'll now have to go start playing with
rawhide and join the developers list and learn how to write code to
fix this junk, but, haven't they had a Carly Simon moment on this --
a "What on earth was I think of?" moment?

Joel Rees