How to obtain the unrar overall progress report?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sat Sep 13 19:29:06 UTC 2008

I am using fedora's "native" unrar for my python
application - no dll version or whatever else is out there.

I have been trying to figure out how to obtain
unrar's overall progress report for inclusion into my
python code but so far I have not been successful.

I tried to turn off all of the comments except for
the progress report and all I have so far is:

unrar x -ierr +o- $file | sed -e 's/.*\([0-9]\+\)[%]$/\1/

I have tried: -c-, -inul, and many other switches but
none of these switches helped.

There is also a -id[c,d,p,q] command line
option but this does not seem to work and this is
option is not discussed in the man pages.

I noticed that if I add 2>&1 before the pipe,
but this removes the overall progress report
and shows only the results on a per-directory/file
results, which is not what I want.

I have also tried awk but unable to figure out how
to do it.

The problem I have is getting rid of the per
directory/file reports when all I want is the overall
progress report, 1-100%.

Any advice?

Thanks-
Dan