Putting a unicode character into a terminal window (or even into OOo)

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sun Sep 14 18:46:40 UTC 2008

Michael T. Sullivan wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>>
>> Under Worm, if I press alt-132 I end up with an umlaut a. This doesn't
>> work under OOo 3 or in a terminal window. How can I get the same result
>> under Linux?
>
> In GTK+ based programs like Gnome Terminal or OOo 3 you can type
> Ctrl+Shift+U followed by the Unicode hexadecimal code terminated by a
> space. See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input> for other
> situations.

And if you don't want to memorize the hex codes, you can
System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Keyboard -> Layouts tab -> Layout
Options -> Compose key position

Select a "compose" key, and you should be able to compose characters in
any X11 application.  Umlaut a would be entered by pressing in sequence
Compose, a, double-quote.  Many characters are "composed" of other
characters with a similar appearance.  The Euro is compose, e, =, for
instance.  It's almost intuitive. ;)