small fonts after upgrade from F7 to F9

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sun Sep 14 22:20:31 UTC 2008

I recently upgraded a machine from F7 to F9, and have two font problems.
  First, emacs can't find the font it wants, and exits with the message:

No fonts match `-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-12-120-75-75-*-*-*-*'

Second, the system font seems to be much smaller than before.

I tried creating a new user, and had the same problems logged in as that
user, so I don't think it's a problem with config files in my home
directory.

I did a fresh install of Fedora 9 in a virtual machine, and it does not
show this problem.  Comparison screen shots can be seen at:

http://whats.all.this.brouhaha.com/2008/09/14/suboptimal-fonts-after-fedora-9-upgrade/

I compared the list of RPM packages with 'font' in the title installed
on the upgraded machine vs. the fresh install, and didn't see any
obvious omissions.

I'd rather not do a fresh install on the machine in question because I
don't feel like reconfiguring the web sserver, DNS server, mail server,
etc., if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions as to what might be missing or configured incorrectly?

Thanks!
Eric