[FWW] method for minimum install

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 11:24:45 UTC 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 19:02 +0930, Tim wrote:
>
>> Minimal install should be minimal install, all the time.  Just enough
>> that it boots.  You have things like anaconda to add to it.  Minimal
>> install, plus X, plus Gnome, plus whatever.  Start with the absolute
>> base system, then add whatever else is needed on top.
>>

> Most new converts to Linux wouldn't know how to do that.
> So minimal install would have to include an X

Just throwing a couple of ideas out:

Two minimal installs, one with X11 and a few of the fwm class window
managers (like openBSD's base X11 stuff) and the other with just
enough to run from console. Neither with apps. (I know, if I want
openbsd, I should install openbsd. I have, triple boot, but that's
beside the point.)

Also, since we have the three categories, office productivity
workstation, developer workstation, and server, we could have a
checkbox that selects some bare minimum in each category. Except, of
course, thinking about how to decide what gets offered with the bare
minimum kind of shows why that's more in the realm of re-spin live CDs.

But back to the rant that started me on this. I yum remove-d tomboy
two days ago. I finally got the update to work today and lo-and-
behold what is right back there at the top of my screen? You got it.
And so I yum removed mono-core again. Why? Whoever is behind that
should be kicked out of the Fedora organization permanently. License
issues aside, when I remove something, it should stay removed unless
I specifically ask for it back.

I was going to write up a bug on that, but the fedora websites seem
to be in maintenance right now, and I'm not going to have time to do
that kind of thing for a full week.

Man, I was wanting to take Fedora with openoffice and the gimp to
work with me this week, but the new gui package manager is
soooooooooo slooooooooooooow and I'm finding the list from yum search
openoffice a little intimidating. Naw, hang that gui gadget. I'm just
going to grab the obvious stuff cli and hope for the best.

Joel Rees