[FWW] method for minimum install

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Mon Sep 15 14:46:54 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Frank Murphy wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 19:02 +0930, Tim wrote:
>>
>>> Minimal install should be minimal install, all the time.  Just enough
>>> that it boots.  You have things like anaconda to add to it.  Minimal
>>> install, plus X, plus Gnome, plus whatever.  Start with the absolute
>>> base system, then add whatever else is needed on top.
>>>

>> Most new converts to Linux wouldn't know how to do that.
>> So minimal install would have to include an X
>
> What?  Is fedora only going to be usable by recent windows converts now?

I'm sorry, I also meant for there to be a "customized" option so more
advanced users can pick their own packages.

And I don't think it's a bad thing to make the installation easier for
people who are "converts" from Windows.  The sooner we can sh*tcan that
platform for the end user the better off the world will be...Grandpa and
Grandma shouldn't have to "understand" what they're installing
necessarily to be able to use it and, to be honest, it is /way/ too
messy to try to get to a minimal install the way it's being done now.
If the Linux community wants to step off the soap boxes, stop being
elitist and "holier than thou", and really help get people to a platform
that is "safer for the Internet" (at least for now) than Windows and
typically more stable (again, at least for now) then starting with
making the install easier and more intuitive for novices would be a good
place to start

Kevin