Fetchmail + Sendmail + Dovecot

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Sep 15 14:51:31 UTC 2008

Arun Shrimali wrote:
> Dear Mikkel,
>
> Thanks for your mail, that has encouraged me to continue experimenting
> further.
> Are you suggesting me to replace, Sendmail with another MTA which has a
> good combination with fetchmail ??
>
> regards
>
> Arun

Hi Arun,
 Please do not top post.

 No, you do not need to replace Sendmail. It will work just fine
with Fetchmail. But depending on exactly what you want to do, you
will probably have to edit /etc/sendmail/sendmail.mc, and generate a
new sendmail.rc. The default configuration will only accept mail
from localhost - no problem for Fetchmail, but it needs to be
changed if you want any other machines on the LAN to be able to send
mail to the machine you are configuring. If you are planning on
having your MUA send mail directly to your relay host, that is all
the configuration you have to do.

If you want Sendmail to be able to send mail to the Internet, or use
you "official" mail server, you will have to modify the
configuration, because it is not set up to use the proxy server, or
to relay through your "official" mail server. Relaying mail is
probably a good idea anyway. Some sites will not accept your mail if
you do not.

Mikkel