Back to Original Subject: Arranging icons on desktop

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Mon Sep 15 15:33:08 UTC 2008

OK, I apologize for "hijacking" the thread, and I see that the thread
got off on a topic that has nothing to do with arranging icons on the
desktop despite what the Subject: says, so let me try this (using a
new message this time...)

With past releases of Fedora / KDE, one could right click on the
desktop and say "Icons->Sort Icons" or "Icons->Line Up Horizontally |
Vertically" to clean up a messy desktop.

That doesn't seem to be available in Fedora 9 / KDE 4.1.0 that
doesn't seem to be available anymore.

In addition, when I add a bunch of icons to the desktop for different
applications, all of the icons pile up on top of one another in the
upper lefthand corner of the screen, and I have to move each one
manually to get it into a position where I can see it individually
(and then it's not in any kind of order).

To where did the arrange-icons capability get moved?

On a related note, I tried looking this up in the KDE Help, but when
I try to use KDE Help, it tells me I need to create an index.  I try
to create an index and it crashes with a signal 11 (SIGSEGV).  So, no
way to do a search within KDE Help.

There appear to be no KDE help files installed anyway, and no such
option available in "Add/Remove Programs" (probably why it's throwing
the SIGSEGV).  Where can I get the KDE help files?

Thanks...