Enable updates for a single user

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 19:13:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Vincenzo Campanella <vinz65 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I have a PC running Fedora 9 that I have to lend to a customer for a limited
> period.
>
> I would like him to be able to install updates and to install and remove
> programs without giving him the root password.
>
> Is it possible, and if it is what do I have to do?

If you just want him to use the PackageKit based graphical
utilities.... you can use the Authorization GUI in the Gnome Menus and
configure the PackageKit authorizations accordingly.

System->Preferences->System->Authorizations.

In the Policy tree on the left select:
org->freedesktop->packagekit
and you can set the authorizations for each of the associated actions
individually.

The Authorizations concept is implemented via PolicyKit, and provides
a fine grained approach to access control for privileged "operations".

This is a good read:
http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit/ref-design.html

-jef