FireFox 3 EULA

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:39:46 UTC 2008

I really don't have time for this tonight.

On Sep 15, 2008, at 9:01 PM, Steve Hill wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Joel Rees wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Some apps show you a EULA for the GPL when they install. And if
>> you can7t agree to the GPL, you can click disagree and refrain
>> from installing.
>
> The GPL is not an EULA - the end user is not required to agree to
> it in order to use the software.  In fact, requiring the user to
> agree to any licence (GPL or otherwise) before they can use a piece
> GPLed software is itself a breach of the GPL.

If you do not agree to the GPL, you have no license at all, and the
only thing that allows you to use the software in any way is fair
use. Fair use does not necessarily cover running the software.

There is a reason the README is included in every distribution, and
there is a reason the GPL license notice is shown wherever copyright
notices are shown.

I thought I had more to say, but I'm going to work on the less-is-
more assumption tonight and go to bed.

[...]

Joel Rees