FireFox 3 EULA

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 16 16:40:03 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 08:24 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> It's absolutely pointless to have a discussion about EULA text we are
>> not showing.
>>
>> jef"Is pretty sure that Ubuntu isn't showing this:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/static/firefox/ "spaleta
>
> Some might call that a EULA, but I wouldn't.  I'd call that more of a
> warning that you're about to use something that you *might* want to
> configure differently.

It's more than that. It's a warning that Firefox is configured to
collect information about where you browse. They promise that they
don't use that to track what you do. However, in order to use the
service, the browser has to inform the database website that it's
about to go to a certain web location. It's a privacy issue, especially
since I see nothing in there about using any encryption.

> It's a little disconcerting that such a feature might be on by default,
> but I'd rather be told about it (like we are) than only find out about
> it once I've gone through all my configuration options.

Agreed.

[...]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.