FireFox 3 EULA

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Sep 16 16:49:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:44:55AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:28:43AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>>> No. For example, even with GPL, it's normal for people to insist that
>>> their software is not being released for purposes of helping commit
>>> crimes. For example, some software which rips CDs include EULAs that
>>> prohibit the use for duplicating CDs except for personal "fair use"
>>> type application.
>>
>> However, that's merely a statement of intent and not part of the
>> license.
>>
>> For instance, a license that says:
>> 	"you may not use this software for larceny"
>>
>> *IS*NOT* Free Software.
>
> Then ISTM that whoever releases software which patently
> could be used for criminal purposes should not use GPL.

The conclusion of that slippery slope is that then you should not release
any software at all under any kind of license, because if you're going
for criminal purposes, what's the point of respecting copyright? :)

>> But stating in the README file "The authors do not condone usage of this
>> software for larceny" is totally different.
>
> I don't know about "totally", but certainly that's different.

It's totally because it's not the license.

Rui

--
All Hail Discordia!
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 40th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?