ssh2

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Sep 16 20:26:38 UTC 2008

roland wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:11:05 +0200, Aldo Foot <lunixer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:30 AM, roland <roland at cat.be> wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I am using a terminalemulator Anita to login to a server, who
>>> validates the
>>> ssh connection with 3DES Cipher.

Do we assume that you tested this and it worked before you left town?

>>> Now this server is hacked, somebody entered with the root user.
>>> Suddenly I have ssh2

How do you know the server is hacked? Is there evidence of that, or are you
assuming that if you can't connect it must be hacked?

>>> So now I get the following message, when trying to login:
>>> dsa_verify failed for server_host_key

My first thought would be that you are connected to the wrong server. Could the
client have done admin on the server, or the network? Changed the IP address and
you are using the old address instead of DNS? My first thought is that you have
the wrong server or the keys were updated, or (less likely) that there is a man
in the middle.

>>> I see the directory .ssh2 in the /root directory, but not in any
>>> $HOME dir
>>>
>>> How can I stop ssh2 verifying?

This is unclear, if you can get in, why would you stop verifying? I would be
finding out why the key changed. I assume you haven't been using the obsolete
ssh1 protocol...

>>> Or is there something else I can do?

Describing the problem more fully would help, things like can you get into the
machine, and if not how you see the .ssh2 directory. I don't recall seeing that
on any version I've used. What version of Fedora are you running on the server?

>> I'd be backing up my data by now and getting ready to reinstall the
>> system.

I would have current backups, but agree, if the machine really has been hacked
it's time to start clean.

> My dear friend af,
>
> Of course you are right, I would do the same, but I am on holiday and
> this happens to a client. So I am looking for a solution for 10 days to
> get ssh working and ssh2 out, or something els.

You mean you left the client without a local backup support and you aren't going
to return immediately? Hopefully I misunderstand that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>