Removing System Consoles from Fedora

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 00:50:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>> Does this mean removing the console at ctrl-alt-F1?
>>
>> That's what I've gathered so far.
>
> You have gathered incorrectly. This whole thread is based on misconceptions.
> Read
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-September/msg01417.html
>
> This is nothing new and how some other distributions have done things for
> several years now. Move on folks.
>
> Rahul

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to keep an eye on the fedora-devel-list.

Using a kernel framebuffer is a great idea for working with a
minimized X Windows environment.
Good thing the 'nomodeset' option is there, otherwise
newbies may have a tough time understanding kernel/video options
to make the new concept work.
But as you say it's nothing new. There are some troubleshooting utilities
that use a few floppies to start a windows/gui environment and they work
fine.

~af