USB keyboard and mouse stopped working in X ?: SOLVED

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200809 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 15:05:05 UTC 2008

I can see it is going to be one of those days.  Got up, grabbed a cup
of coffee and figured I could do a bunch of mindless spacebar pushing
until the caffeine kicked in and I woke up.  Nooo.  Foiled again.

In my case, I was defaulting to the builtin xorg.conf and the newly
updated Xorg seems to not default the "InputDevice" section correctly.
I needed to make a one-section xorg.conf to supplement the builtin
stuff. (Thanks to the open bugzilla bug report for hints as to what I
needed to do.)

# cat > /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# needed by broken xorg-1.5.0 -wsr 2008-09-18
# remove this file once xorg 1.5.0 gets updated and kbd works again.

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

# end

Now back to some mindless spacebar pushing...

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.