Phonon and non-existant audio devices

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:32:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Nigel Henry
<cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 17:06, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Nigel Henry
>>
>> <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
>> > I'm not sure when I first starting getting the phonon messages, but I
>> > think it was after all the updates. Anyway seeing your post today, I've
>> > looked at "sound-system settings" again. Now I see 5 entries. The greyed
>> > out one that I'd already moved to the top, then the same entry again, but
>> > not greyed out, and the other 3 now say "default (default audio device)",
>> > "hw:0.0 (ALC662 Analog)", and "hw:0.1 (ALC662 Digital)".
>>
>> What is the path to this "sound-system settings" tool? I don't seem to
>> find it in my menu.
>>
>> --
>> Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
>> ( www.pembo13.com )
>
> Hi Arthur. You should have stayed with FC7, while sipping that drop of
> moonshine, and I genuinly hope that you havn't overwritten it with Fedora 9,
> as it's always nice to be able to bootup a Fedora version that works, and use
> the latest version in a bit of an experimental way.

 Yes, I overwrote it as thoroughly as I overwrote my old sig. I
thought that I was being a bit hypocritical by not being part of those
on the forefront getting cut by the bleeding edge stuff.

In all fairness though, I did not expect such a large regression in
audio performance. I am not pissed however, as a friend of mine is
having tremendous success with Pulseaudio,  and it seems that both mac
and windows now have pulseaudio like functionality.

> Anyway, now back to the system settings.
>
> Click on the "F" in the panel, and you'll get the new kickoff menu (if you
> want, as I do, the old style classic menu, right click on the big "F", and
> select "Switch to Classic Menu). On the kickoff one you have 3 items when you
> open it, webbrowser, system settings, and file manager. Go for system
> settings, then sound, which will open a window named "Sound-System Settings".
>
> If you're using the classic menu, the same window will be found at "Settings",
> then "System Settings", then "Sound".

I'll give that a try. Thanks