Easiest way to move my installation to my new laptop ? Cloning the drive ?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Sep 18 21:31:33 UTC 2008

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Don't forget about rebuilding the initrd if the driver for your hard
>> drive controller changes. (I had this happen with PATA controllers.)
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
> here is what I use -- also from rescue -- F9 only -- when I know the
> controller may be different -- probably overkill:
>
> after chroot to /mnt/sysimage
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> kernel=`ls /boot/vmli* | awk -F\- '{printf("%s-%s\n", $2,$3)}'`
> initrd="/boot/initrd-${kernel}.img"
> rm $initrd
> /sbin/mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=ahci --preload=libata
> --preload=jbd --preload=ohci-hcd --preload=uhci-hcd
> --preload=scsi_wait_scan --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod
> --preload=sd_mod --preload=pata_amd --preload=ata_generic
> --preload=pata_cs5536 --preload=pata_acpi $initrd $kernel
> #

I normally move the drive, and see if it boots. If it does not, then
I boot with the rescue disk. (Or USB key.) After that, it is about
the same as you do, except I do not use the --preload options. I
don't do it often enough that I have a script for it, and I only
make a new initrd for the latest kernel.

Mikkel