Easiest way to move my installation to my new laptop ? Cloning the drive ?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Sep 18 22:05:24 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Phil Meyer wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>> Don't forget about rebuilding the initrd if the driver for your hard
>>> drive controller changes. (I had this happen with PATA controllers.)
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>
>> here is what I use -- also from rescue -- F9 only -- when I know the
>> controller may be different -- probably overkill:
>>
>> after chroot to /mnt/sysimage
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> kernel=`ls /boot/vmli* | awk -F\- '{printf("%s-%s\n", $2,$3)}'`
>> initrd="/boot/initrd-${kernel}.img"
>> rm $initrd
>> /sbin/mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=ahci --preload=libata
>> --preload=jbd --preload=ohci-hcd --preload=uhci-hcd
>> --preload=scsi_wait_scan --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod
>> --preload=sd_mod --preload=pata_amd --preload=ata_generic
>> --preload=pata_cs5536 --preload=pata_acpi $initrd $kernel
>> #
>>
> I normally move the drive, and see if it boots. If it does not, then
> I boot with the rescue disk. (Or USB key.) After that, it is about
> the same as you do, except I do not use the --preload options. I
> don't do it often enough that I have a script for it, and I only
> make a new initrd for the latest kernel.

I'd suggesting adding a "-f" to the mkinitrd command to force an
overwrite of any existing initrd image.  And you may also have to do
a "grub-install" as well if the primary controllers are dissimilar.
It's burned me before.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -