FireFox 3 EULA

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Sep 19 08:06:13 UTC 2008

> I'd recommend that everyone disable those options if they value their privacy.
> Or just switch to a sane browser, such as Konqueror. It's really outrageous
> that this kind of "phoning home" is tolerated in Free Software.

You should probably also disable yum updates as well theen as that also
queries remote servers to fetch the packages and that will obviously
expose your IP address and some system info the other end.

What is important is that services that require collecting some info let
you know about it before they do so you can choose to turn it off. The
installer does this (send hardware profile etc), the firefox browser does
this too - the 'EULA' goes to the trouble of letting you know so you can
decide.

The names of sites visited by an end user are quite visible anyway - to
their ISP for one.