[OT] Mysql advice

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Sep 19 18:32:37 UTC 2008

Dennis Kaptain wrote:

>> Well yeah, that's sort of true. I have one user 'root'@'localhost' and
>> one 'root'@'chestnut.ercbroadband.org'.  Pretty much what you are
>> describing.  Still doesn't help much.  The passwords are the same.
>>

> I think the problem you are having is not with mysql at all but rather the zenoss install. According to
> http://lists.zenoss.org/pipermail/zenoss-users/2007/012312.html
> The zenoss install will ask you for the mysql root password at which time you give it and all is well with the world.
>
> Dennis K

It doesn't from the RPM I built.  I can probably fix that, though.

But, I DID find the reason why I can't get things working like it
should.  The problem is due to my new root password.  According to a
couple of posts on MYSQL's forums, I /should/ be able to login
automatically with the /root/.my.cnf file (assuming it's correct).
HOWEVER, if a password has a '#' in it, it will NOT work because mysql
sees that as a comment character and it won't pass the full password to
the system.

And as my new pwd HAS a #, this is why it's a problem.

I do want to thank everyone for all the suggestions.  Maybe this will
keep someone else from getting a migraine searching for the answer I
just dug up.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support