Revive corrupt user

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Sep 19 22:42:42 UTC 2008

> latest Fedora updates, I could no longer get to the desktop of my
> personal user so in the end I had to go through the same process of
> creating a new user before I could login. But I again had to go through
> the tedious task of copying my personal files and personalising the
> settings of the new user.

You shouldn't be able to break the desktop that comprehensively even by
doing silly things (well beyond using gconf-editor which is asking for
trouble ;)). How did you manage to break it ?

> Here is the question: Is there any way to backup my existing user info
> so that I can just restore the backup when I need to and have all of my
> user preferences set the way I left them? I have tried backing up the
> "Home" folder but after restoring it, I still had the same problem.

Generally for GNOME doing an "rm -rf .gconf" is a reset of the desktop
state and should get you back to sanity. Ditto with ".mozilla" for
firefox.

Alan